Recipe: Easy, Candied Orange Slices, Vegan, Tree Nut-Free, Gluten-Free



After I made that glorious blackberry thyme chocolate bark, I felt inspired to try another flavor combination, something with orange and an herby note. But how to get the oranges into chocolate without being too wet? Yes, I could zest, but since pushing myself during the #cook90 Epicurious challenge, I thought why not try something one step beyond that: candied orange slices. I’ve made candied orange peel before and dipped it in chocolate, heavenly. But not in a million years. So, I searched and found many super easy recipes and combined two and created this recipe below. 

My food allergen tip, scrub the peel really well as you’re going to be eating it.





Recipe: Easy, Candied Orange Slices, Vegan, Tree Nut-Free, Gluten-Free

Barely adapted from Food & Wine & The Repressed Pastry Chef

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup sugar in the raw (turbinado sugar)
1 cara cara navel orange, sliced crosswise into 1/4 inch thick slices

In a medium skillet, combine the water and sugar and bring to a boil. Add the orange slices and cook over moderate heat, turning them occasionally, until the liquid is reduced and the orange slices are translucent, about 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to moderately low and simmer until the syrup is thick and the slices are tender but still intact, turning occasionally, about 10 minutes. Transfer the orange slices to a rack to cool. Reserve the syrup for another use.


Follow me on Instagram @allergicgirlnyc, tag me @allergicgirlnyc and join me on my Facebook feed to see the these recipes as I post them live.  

Comments

Popular Posts